Privacy & Site Usage Policy
DATA POLICY STATEMENT AND PRIVACY NOTICE
What this Data Policy Statement and Privacy Notice covers
The Planning and Environment Bar Association (“PEBA”) is committed to protecting your personal information. In this notice, references to ‘we’, ‘us’ or ‘our’ mean PEBA. This notice explains how we collect and use the personal information about you.
Who we are
- PEBA is an unincorporated specialist bar association for barristers practising in the fields of planning, environment, compulsory purchase, highways, housing, rating and other aspects of local government and administrative law. Its primary address is 4a Woodside Business Park, Whitley Wood Lane, Reading, RG2 8LW.
- PEBA operates a website, peba.org.uk (the “website”).
- PEBA is a data controller under the General Date Protection Regulations (“GDPR”).
- PEBA have appointed CPT as PEBA’s administrator (“the PEBA Administrator”).
- CPT is a private limited company under registration number 2563495. The registered office is 12 Sheaveshill Parade, Sheaveshill Avenue, London, NW9 6RS.
INFORMATION WE GATHER – PEBA MEMBERS
Where do we get your contact details from?
Data we hold has been provided directly by you on your membership application form, and may have been updated at your request or by PEBA’s Administrator (if known to be out of date). The data held may include your name, professional qualifications, job title, business name, twitter handle together with your contact address, telephone number, fax number, e-mail address and bank details used for administering subscriptions and making payments.
The need to keep us informed of your current contact details
It is the responsibility of the member to keep us informed of appropriate up-to-date contact details. Failing to do so may mean you are not sent newsletters and other publications and invitations.
Use of your information?
We will use your information to:
- Administer your membership and communicate as necessary in relation to it
- Maintain relevant contact with you with information we consider of interest to you as a member of PEBA, including, but not limited to: matters relating to PEBA business and activities, and information relevant to the fields of practice for which PEBA is the specialist bar association; and
- Maintain the member directory known as the PEBA Handbook, both in print form and on the website.
What is the legal basis of processing your data ?
The legal basis of processing members’ data is ‘legitimate interest’. It is considered that, as a member of PEBA, you have a legitimate interest in receiving information relevant to your membership and to the areas of legal practice within which PEBA’s members are engaged, and in being identified (through the PEBA Handbook) as being a member of PEBA.
If you choose to cease being a member of PEBA, we:
- will cease communicating on membership matters; and
- may retain the records relating to your membership for a reasonable period
Your personal data will be retained for as long as necessary for the purposes listed above. If you exercise your right to be forgotten whilst a member, or refuse consent to processing, PEBA will terminate your membership and there will be no refund.
IN RELATION TO ALL DATA
Processing and retention of data
- PEBA’s Administrator collects your information. Your information is stored on our membership database. PEBA’s Administrator is permitted to make alterations to any information held on that database.
- PEBA and PEBA’s Administrator are required strictly to comply with data protection laws and to follow appropriate and best practice.
- Organisational and technical measures are in place to protect your information against unauthorised access, modification or misuse.
How to keep us updated with any changes to your information
We would like you to keep us updated if the personal data we hold on you is inaccurate or incomplete. All requests to update your personal data must be via an email to email@example.com or by post to PEBA, 4a Woodside Business Park, Whitley Wood Lane, Reading, RG2 8LW.
You have the right to:
- Update us and have any inaccuracies in your data corrected.
- Request that we delete your personal data.
- Request a copy of the personal information we hold about you. If you wish to see what data we hold on you we will require you to write to us on suitable letterhead and signed. You may also be required to prove your identity. The letter needs to be sent by registered post to PEBA, 4a Woodside Business Park, Whitley Wood Lane, Reading, RG2 8LW.
Please contact us if you have any enquiries arising from this Statement and Notice or any concerns over our handling of data. We will always treat any enquiry with care:
- In the first instance, please do so via the administrator firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to PEBA, 4a Woodside Business Park, Whitley Wood Lane, Reading, RG2 8LW.
- If your query remains, contact the PEBA Committee’s Secretary: http://peba.org.uk/contact-us/ or by post to the address given from time to time for the Secretary’s chambers, in the Handbook and on the website.
- If you remain unhappy with PEBA’s response, you have the right to then contact the Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, SK9 5AF
Review of PEBA’s Privacy Notice
This Statement and Notice was last reviewed in May 2018. We may update the terms of this Statement and Notice at any time, so please visit the Statement and Notice on our website for any changes.